I’m deeply saddened to hear that George Jones died today. I first heard that pained and shattering voice when I was sixteen. I was driving in a work truck, en route to cut another lawn on a hot summer’s day. ‘He Stopped Loving Her Today’ came on the country AM radio when they played a few “classic” country songs just after lunch. His voice rang through the pickup truck’s speakers, and rang somewhere deep inside of me. It transformed me. Before I heard George Jones I was one of the people who would say they didn’t like Country Music. That all changed.
Hearing George Jones sing changed the way I wanted to sing and the kinds of things I wanted to sing about. He sang about the kind of mistakes my father made. The kind of mistakes so many of my male role models had made. The kinds of mistakes I’ve tried to avoid in my own life. He taught me that it was okay to sing, to be sensitive and to acknowledge the mistakes we make.
Now, I’ve read nearly everything I can about No Show Jones, and I know he made a lot of mistakes and at times he made it quite difficult for himself and those around him. He led a life far less ordinary and yet made singing about life’s difficulties look effortless and sound extraordinary. So, thank-you, George Jones. You’re the greatest singer I’ve ever heard. I wouldn’t be doing what I do if it weren’t for you.
Big News! Our album is set to be release September 18th on Shuffling Feet Records (CD/LP/DL).
We’re really excited! We will be touring our new album throughout September and October in Eastern Canada. Look for a show near you.
We have quite a few Summer Tour Dates coming up this August, including sets at SappyFest, OTHERFolk and the 18th Annual Fred Eaglesmith Picnic.
- August 2 - House Show in Quebec City, QC *message for details*
- August 3, 4, 5 -SappyFest, Sackville, NB
- August 9 - Pressed, Ottawa, ON (with Baby Eagle and Marine Dreams)
- August 11 - The Hootenanny on Hunter St, Peterborough, ON - 12pm
- August 11 - The Garnet (with Baby Eagle and Marine Dreams) 11pm
- August 16 - OTHERfolk Festival, Owen Sound, ON (with Doug Paisley and Jennifer Castle)
- August 18 - 18th Annual Fred Eaglesmith Picnic, Aylmer, ON
- August 19 - Muddy’s Pit BBQ, Keene, ON
- August 25 -Peterborough Folk Festival, Peterborough, ON
- August 25 - Unofficial PFF after party, The Spill, Peterborough, ON (with Kayla Howran)
- August 29 - Casbah, Hamilton, ON (with Grey Kingdom)
- September 1 - Nite Owl, London, ON (with Grey Kingdom)
We’re so excited for summer, we even made a special tank-top that will be available at shows: